Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Homemade Buttermilk!

I am always looking for homemade ways to make things and buttermilk is something that I have found on many sites that claims it to be easy, so I decided to go ahead and try it! I love making pancakes from scratch and have found this recipe to be the best I have found so far, but like to substitute the regular milk for buttermilk and find they come out even better! I ended having about 2-3 tbsps of buttermilk leftover from a quart I purchased last week for pancakes, which happens to be the perfect amount to culture a qt of milk into buttermilk! All I did was add the couple of tablespoons of store-bought cultured (this is important!) buttermilk to the bottom of a glass, quart-sized mason jar and then filled it up with regular whole milk. I put it into a dark cabinet and left it to sit overnight or so. I checked it and it didn't seem quite done, so I put it back and forgot about it, let it sit for another day or so (my pregnant brain doesn't remember the actual day I put it up there!! LOL) and when I finally remembered it thought it was done, I smelled it, had my oldest smell it and when my hubby got home had him smell it also. He said it smelled fine :)
I decided to try it this morning in our pancakes and none of us are sick yet they turned out great!

BTW my Sourdough starter is progressing nicely! I can't wait for it to be done so I can try it out!

2 comments:

redkitchen said...

That's so cool. Girl, you rock!

Christy said...

We've been enjoying our hm buttermilk too. I use it any time I make anything that calls for milk in cooking. I like that it's healthier, and cheaper then the store bought stuff.

The thick look of hm buttermilk is definetly a bit different then the store bought stuff!

Let us know when you make your yogurt! Our first batch we sweetened with vanilla and sugar (white shhh.) This next batch I made a couple of days ago I tried vanilla and honey, and it blended together just fine!

I really wanted to make some cream cheese to go along with my sourdough bread, but I didn't have any flour cloth, or a round pitcher, so I hope to try that too.

Blessings,
Christy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...