Friday, January 16, 2009

Weekly Review

I haven't posted a review of our school in a long time so I thought I would post a little of what we did this week.

Biggest "A"-

Bible- He is still doing R&S BNRS and I was having him do only one lesson a week, but this week bumped it back up to two in order to finish this curriculum by the end of the year.
He also is reading his Bible in the morning on his own and journaling what he has read. Once a week he does a Bible study with his dad and right now they are studying Revelation. He is enjoying it to my surprise!


Math- We needed to go back into the last chapter and do a bit of review this week. Big A had trouble with it because he learned a new concept before break and not much practice was done for him to retain it prior to our Christmas break. He is catching on well though and we are going to move along as usual next week.
Grammar- We have started back with R&S English but not doing it according stringently yet. I just had him do some of the worksheets and the rest of the lessons were done orally. He also is doing some pages from Language Lessons as I see fit.
Spelling and Handwriting- We are still using R&S for spelling and moving along just nicely with it. I did , however, drop their penmanship and am using a modern penmanship book workbook for cursive. Sigh, he just really isn't catching onto writing in cursive yet, but I hope to work more with him and get him writing it by the end of the year. Do lefty's have more trouble learning cursive? If you have one and are experiencing the same trouble leave me a comment!
Reading- I really am a bad read-aloud type Mom...I am working to step it up in that area next week though. This week he has been reading books on his own, nothing assigned. What's been great is that this week he has started writing his own stories!! They are about a character he's made up and boy does he have a great imagination!!

Science- Big A received some books about Weather this Christmas and is reading those on his own and actually writing his forecasts down daily still. He is adamant that he is going to be a meteorologist so I am letting him continue to study the weather as he feels led. We will get back to reading Apologia next week, but I don't want to discourage his interests either, so I have been giving him plenty free time to pursue his interest.

History- Sad to say we haven't touched our history books this week :( Next week we will be hitting the books harder and witnessing History first hand so we'll have lots going on in that dept next week!

Middle A-

She has been having a ball this week with her playdoh, watercolors, farm activity set..etc etc.
She also has been practicing writing her "letter A" and here's a couple of pics of what she's done:




And this ..sigh....she thought she needed makeup I guess?



And little A? He's just been learning alot. How to climb on things, throw things, hit things..you get the idea ;)

Hope you had a great week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! That is the cutest pic!

redkitchen said...

Your little one's A's look good, but I think she needs a little work in the area of makeup. LOL Cute picture! ;)

Gina said...

I'm glad you had a good week. Isn't it amazing how we don't have to teach our kids to hit and throw things, they just do it?! :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your weekly review...and the pic of your dd is adorable!
Stacy :-)

Daisy said...

I loved your update!! Middle A cracks me up.

Way to go, Big A, working with Dad on Revelations. Something special about "Dad" time maybe??

Hey, and Little A...stay out of trouble.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...