Big A - 5th grade year! (wow....we started when he was in 2nd grade..time flies!)
First, the one I am most excited about:

This program (for those of you who don't know) is called Hearts for Him Through Time- Creation to Christ. It covers a multitude of our subjects this year and is all wrapped up in one nicely planned out teachers manual complete with a Biblical Worldview. History, Science, Poetry, Spelling using dictation, Narration, Music, art and Bible Study (you can find it here ) are all covered and I am sure I am missing more. Check out the site, you'll see a complete explanation of the program as well as what books are used. As you know, we are expecting our fourth baby in Dec, and while I love to tweak things and add to our studies, this is a no-brainer for me...all of the work has been planned out for me. Done deal. We can't wait to start this in Aug!!
We are also using a program by the same publisher for our reading/literature study:
Drawn into the Heart of Reading is a literature study that covers 9 different genre's of books while introducing Godly character lessons throughout. My plan is to cover all of the genres in one year, but instead using the student workbook for only half so we can get more use out it. (that is used for grades 4/5). On the weeks we are not using DITHOR, I will have Big A read a different genre than was covered, but we won't do anything other than oral/written narration with it. You can find out more info about this program here.For our Grammar this year we are using:

We loved QLL last year, but our HOD Ancients program covers many of the things that QLL covers. I've heard a lot of great things about this program, so I am hoping it works out well for Big A this year. It is done mainly independently, and that will definitely be a blessing. Of course, I will always be right there to help if he needs it :)
To round out Language Arts we will be using Writing Stands level 3 for writing.
Again..this is a new program to us, but when you find it at a used book sale for $5.00, you make it work ;) I wasn't set on what writing program we would use, and the one that is suggested for HOD was too expensive for me. So as always, God provides, and we are looking forward to using this program!And finally for Math we are going to be using Teaching Textbooks Math 5 !!
I have been wanting to use this program ever since I heard of it and am just excited to be finally starting with it. It's a computer based, fully interactive math curriculum. I thought it would be a great way to mix up Big A's School day and give Mom as chance to work with the little ones in our school.Speaking of the little ones in our school, I'll share what I am going to be using with them on a separate post.
Are you all reading for this next year!! I am really ready for a break but am excited about what we are going to be using at the same time :)
3 comments:
I'm so glad you are joining the HOD bandwagon!! I can't wait to see how you like it. I will be using it too in a few years. :)
Congrats on finishing another year! Praying for another wonderful year full of His blessings.
Hope you have a great year. :)
Post a Comment