Monday, December 22, 2008

Sewing a Rag Doll.




This project is my first sewing project ever! I have learned ALOT in the process. For those of you who don't know, I have been teaching myself to sew and even though I have run into quite a few stumbling blocks this has been soooo rewarding! I feel very accomplished and can't wait until I am sewing dresses and things for my daughter.

This is the pattern I used, but I ended up making bigger arms and legs. I also don't know how to hand sew, so adding the hair (and closing up the head) has been challenging. I finished it and for what its worth its a true "rag doll". LOL

Here are some pics of some of the steps I took to make it. I was hoping to do a beginners tutorial but just had too many problems and too much time in between to really focus on capturing the steps...but here's what took and maybe you can glean some info from these anyways.

Here is the pattern for the arms and legs I made. They are easily double the size of the original pattern and ended up ok and fit the body size fine (It makes it easier when you are turning them right side out after you sew them to have them bigger..ask me how I know ;) )



Here are the pieces all ready to sew. After you sew the arm and leg pieces together you stuff them with whatever you have. I used some inexpensive poly-fill.
I don't have any pics of the actual process because as I was trying to get these sewn I had major issues with my machine err with my skills but after all that was taken care of I got to getting this thing done!



Here you will have to pin the legs and arms up and out of the way to sew the body together. This was very difficult for me to figure out and I ended up messing up more than once. I finally just cut the arms off (because I am impatient like that sometimes) and sew them back on afterwards. LOL. TRY and do what they pattern says and you may do better than me. I hope you do!





And once I got her all sewn and her hair on..lol! My dd seen her as I was stuffing it and said is that me?? So its no longer a surprise ;)



I gave it to her at bedtime and she said she "Wuvs it!!"



So cute. sigh. Little girls and their dolls :) (and she doesn't even notice the imperfections)



I think I'll keep at it and eventually make her one as beautiful as she is. Thank you Lord for the daughter I thought I'd never have :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww, you did such a good job, Amber! The dolls is adorable--but the little girl's even cuter!

michelle said...

She's gorgeous! (and the doll is, too) ;-)

I'm also a beginner at sewing/teaching myself. (I am terrified of buttons and zippers - LOL.)

Your doll looks great! My middle DD wants a doll like Laura Ingalls had. I think your pattern just might fit the bill!

Merry Christmas!
Michelle

Daisy said...

You did a fabulous job!! I love it. Time to set up an etsy account.

Ginger said...

Great Job!!!!

Anna said...

Great job, Amber! Good for you for sticking with it through all the challenges, too!

(quiltingmama from humble homeschool hearts)

Anonymous said...

That is simply precious, Amber! Love it!

redkitchen said...

The doll looks great. I'm impressed. I can't even sew a button on a shirt! LOL

Anonymous said...

What an adorable doll! Yes, your daughter will treasure her for years to come. :)

I hope your Christmas is full of peace and wonder!

Mia said...

I just love that doll! What a treasure you have given her. And so huggable too!!

Anonymous said...

Very cute Amber!
Stacy :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...