Today marks the start of the second term of our school year! We have 12 weeks under our belts and are looking forward to the next 12.
I just finished some of our plans and would like to share what we will be doing. We are easing into a Charlotte Mason approach but will continue with our traditional text's since I am implementing shorter lessons where I can.
4th Grade "Big A's" plans:
Math- Continue w/ Rod and Staff
Grammar- /copywork/narration/picture study- Language Lessons for the Elementary Child
Spelling- Rod and Staff (split into 4 short lessons each week)
Reading/Bible- Rod and Staff Bible and Nuture Reader Series ( This has been cut down to one lesson a week to make for shorter lessons)
Literature- This term we are going to be reading through "The Pilgrim's Progress". We have heard great things about this book and so I decided to make it a daily read aloud. It will take us the entire 12 weeks to get through!
Ancient History- We haven't even really begun to dive into this yet but plan on it this term. I want to really get into doing some projects along with reading the Bible alongside our lessons.
American History- We are focusing on one time period per 6 weeks. This term we will be using various read alouds and some history pockets to learn about the Colonization and Colonial Periods. I will be listing our read alouds for this weekly on the side bar. I am also interested in doing some hands on projects, so if you have any ideas for these time periods that were well worth it please let me know! Ideas are appreciated (I am not that creative...lol)
Science- Apologia Astronomy is our *curriculum* this year and its wonderful! We are going to continue with it and do about 1 lesson every 2 weeks, so 6 this term. Big A also has an interest in the weather and wants to be a meteorologist missionary when he grows up ;) So I have tried to encourage him in his interest and get him a ton of library books on the subject and sit through his forecasts everyday (which gives me and idea for a future blog post..lol)
For "Middle A's" preschool"
I am just doing my preschool activity rotation daily and some other fun things like a kit I received from Brighter Learning Adventures and her R&S workbooks (which she hasnt even touched yet..she'd rather write her letters on her magna doodle which is fine with me ;) We aren't doing LHTH anymore but may pick it back up soon...she really is a self learner and I dont want to have anything to "structured" quite yet..although LHTH is very gentle and fun.
For "Baby A's" babyhood:
He's walking now..sigh. He's toddling around and just learning and exploring as babies do. I read little books to him and he claps his hands and sings. He even knows how to lift his hands to the Lord and praise...sigh....love keeping him with me at church. So we'll continue to keep his learning natural ;) LOL
I haven't decided on our "extras" just yet. I need to decide on a hymn, poem, composer and artist to study but for this week and next we are just going to enjoy the season of Thanksgiving that is approaching with lots of art projects, singing , praising and thanking the Lord for the blessings He has given us this past year!
The planning is the fun part for me though and I will get back to it soon enough ;)
5 comments:
Aw! I can't believe baby is walking! Isn't it bittersweet? I mean, you love his independence but it means his growing up too. (sigh)
Hip Rider does LHTH about every other day. She is so picky and bossy so she likes to do her "thang" and mommy follows. LOL
Your plan looks great!
Sounding good! I don't even know what week we are in? LOL. I need to sit down and give everything a good once over. I feel like we are just doing the next thing.
Sounds like a great plan. We are going to finish week 13 of school this week. I need to sit down and plan for after the holidays. Thanks for sharing!!
So Organized. I am still struggling. But maybe it will be easier next year. GOOD JOB!!!!!
Hi Amber!
Your plan for term 2 looks great! We're also studying colonial life this quarter. I'll be back soon to look at your preschool rotation post. I can really use some new ideas for my 3yo dd. Have a great day.
Stacy :-)
Post a Comment