Saturday, February 28, 2009

Weekly Review

I haven't done a weekly review for a while so I thought I would this week. I have tried some new things to be more organized and thought I would share.

I have realized that in order for my son to be more accountable and do his work more independently, he has to organized. I can't function when there is clutter or without some sort of list, and he is proving to be like me in this area. So, I made a weekly notebook complete with a checklist each day.

I just took a regular old binder we had sitting around:


Added some dividers with each day of the week, Mon-Fri. There is also a tab on the end for "extras", that is for extra paper, penmanship worksheets, reading lists etc. This is the first day (I had to crop his name out so the pic is a little crooked). I spent a couple of hours last Saturday putting this together and actually plan on doing it again today. It should take less time now though, since I already know how I need to put it together. I just printed off a list from master planner and wrote in each subject and what he is to be doing that day. I also have some instructions next to his subject that may require something he is known for forgetting..like accidentally forgetting to read his bible lesson before completing his workbook *rolls eyes*..lol I had to cross out some of the subject headings but other than that the list seems to work well for him. I actually have my own lesson plans in my planner that coincide with his, so I know he's on track without having to look at his list :) I also add any worksheets for the day that need to be done under the appropriate daily tab..(which happen to be done so they are in the "completed work basket")..lol


This day of the week, we had parkday and after that we go to the grocery store so I don't schedule any school that day. I like to put his activities in his notebook so he can be aware of what else we are doing throughout the week and its something to look forward to when he is completing each days work :)

Behind the daily tabs I keep extra paper or anything else that doesn't belong under the daily tabs.

This is the back pocket of the notebook. Here we are storing our memory cards that he is working on for History (these just need to be cut and put on a ring). Other projects will be stored here as we work on them.


So far this system is working very well for him and for me. It helps to just pick up the binder, a few books and leave the house if we need to.

As for the rest our our weekly report:

Math has gone very well. Big A seems to really enjoy reading problems and his understanding of them is awesome. I couldn't stand them in school, so I am glad he finds them fun..lol!

Grammar- I have been having him do one of these R&S Grammar worksheets a day. He is also continuing with his Language Lessons for the Elementary Child by Sandi Queen.

Spelling/Penmanship- Spelling is going well as usual. This is a strong subject for Big A, so he's just keeps plugging along. Penmanship is still a difficult task and he is slowly learning cursive. I have also been cracking down on the neatness of his writing.

American History-

This week I had planned on starting a Native American History Pocket but weren't able to get to them. Big A did read "The Double Life of Pocahontas" by Jean Fritz and really enjoyed it!

World History- We are now reading MOH as a read aloud and doing some of the activities and memory cards. We didn't do much in this this week and hope to return to it more next week as time allows.

Science- As usual this is mostly interest led. We started a daily weather log/chart and Big A has been checking his rain gauge daily ;) He also started reading about the Planet Mercury in his Apologia book and will continue with his study of it next week.

This is the last week of our 2nd term and I hope to be doing lots of planning and organizing for our final term, this week!

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Daisy said...

I'm liking the notebook idea. I've just been printing off a sheet of paper everyday for Lydia. Probably should be a little more organized.

Hey, since A like that book, he should check out other titles by Jean Fritz. She has written a ton of American History fiction. Plunk her name into your library database and watch the books come up. LOL.

Gina said...

I love your notebook idea. I think Audrey would like something like that too when she is a little older. I'm glad you had a great week. :)

Butterfly said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! Glad you had a great week!

michelle said...

Nice idea!

I have so many binders - I can't keep them straight - I've had to start labeling them all with masking tape - lol.

Laura Lee said...

How did I miss this post?!

Glad the notebook is working for your son!!

I'm much too lazy to do something like this, but I have a weekly checklist each term, which lets my older kids use their addition and division skills to determine how many lessons need to be completed each day. Then, they pick, which connects and commits them to their day's work. I make one for my littles, too, but I get to do all the picking. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...