Saturday, September 27, 2008

Week In review 9/22-9/26

This week was a very busy week. In addition to having full days of school, we had a wonderful field trip on Friday! We went to RileysFarm and participated in a re-enactment of the Revolutionary war. That alone deserves another post, so look for that on Monday :)
Here's how our week broken down by subject:

Math- Ds finished the 3rd chapter in Rod and Staff and is moving along nicely. He seems to be doing fine with R&S so we are going to stick with it until next year when I hope to start using either Teaching Textbooks or Saxon. Rod and Staff is excellent but ds needs more of a visual experience and both TT and Saxon have Cd's which is really a plus. For now though, He is getting his facts nailed down with R&S and I praise God for it!

Grammar/copywork/spelling- Language Lessons is working out wonderfully! He has been doing a ton of copywork and I am noticing a lot of improvement in his penmanship. Since he only has a short amount of work to do he is being much more careful with his work. This is a great change and I am happy to have done it.

Reading/Bible- He is plugging a long in his R&S BNRS. This has been wonderful for working on his skills in vocabulary, dictionary use and not to mention the amount of the Bible he is learning is awesome!

Science- We finally started our Apologia Astronomy this week and so far is going great! I am doing this curriculum ala Charlotte Mason by just reading it aloud and having ds narrate and notebook was he has learned. I also had him work on his science notebook by making dividers for each of our focus areas: Astronomy, Weather, and Nature. My ds has a real fascination for the weather and does a daily forecast for me, so we will be keeping track of all things weather to add to his notebook..here's a couple of pics of his dividers that he made:





Ancient History: This was our first full week of History and was actually alot of fun. Ds made a creation booklet with pictures of each day of Creation and a model of an animal (in his case Animals) and along with him "creating" the animal he had to name them as Adam did :) We didn't do any timeline work or mapwork because I want to do some extras this week with that :)

Extras: We are on our last week with our current Hymn (Holy, Holy, Holy) and they have it memorized for the most part, so I am very pleased, although my 3 yr old seems to know it better than big brother ;) They also have enjoyed the symphonies of Beethoven and ask to listen to them alot! We also have been working on our habit training and that is a work in progress....some things take a little longer than others and our first (and IMO most important) is Obedience. I am working from the bottom up on this one in hopes that my older child will see that I mean business when dealing with the younger ones :) Oh and in case you are wondering, yes I said youngerS with a captial "S" ...my 11 month old has learned how to throw fits already *sigh*..unfortunately even when he is acting up he's still toooo cute and I just have to giggle to myself when he's doing it. Here's a few pics of him doing his favorite thing at the moment...playing in the tub!







On the Preschool Front we didn't do anything formal. Dd is still practicing her writing skills and is writing her letters without seeing them. We are going to start with writing her numbers soon, but I don't want to push it..lol! She's been a pretty good self starter so I don't want to hinder her independence. Also included was lots of fun with playdoh and coloring books. We'll get back to Little Hands to Heaven next week :)

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Wow!! It sounds like you had a great week. I love the shots of your little guy in the tub...too cute!!

Daisy said...

Awesome week!!! Along the lines of obedience, I started my kids on a "Yes, Ma'am" contest. It has worked great. Once I get them to say, "yes, ma'am" the obedience just kinda happens. So I kept track each day of how many times each child answer "yes, ma'am; no, ma'am; yes, sir..." throughout the day. By the 3rd day it was coming more naturally. Love it.

Anonymous said...

What a great week! We have been contemplating switching the boys to MUS Math. We have visual learners over here also and I've used manips with R&S but I think the way the lessons are set up in MUS will work better. Your little one is too cute. Looks so much like big brother. Does he spoil him? :)

Anonymous said...

I love the ideas you have for Extras. I think it's great that they're developing a love for hymns and classical music.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...