I have switched to cloth diapers! I have been doing my usual research and one day just decided to dive right in! I have a pretty good "stash" as it is called and am looking forward to try some new ones :-) As of right now I have some Indian Unbleached prefolds that I got at a great price! I also received some excellent used cloth from a fellow homeschool Mom and I just recently purchased some Pocket diapers from another Mom :-)
So far I have been using the UBI prefolds with a premie tri-folded during the day..I usually cover it with a reg plastic pant or a prorap. I also have some natural wool soakers and longies that I am using at night. I will probably use the pocket diapers at night also and when we are gone running errands. They seem to be VERY convenient and easy to use! I tested one out today and they work extremely well at keeping my little one dry :-)
I also have opted to use cloth wipes in place of the disposable ones...It just makes more sense. I just learned how to use my sewing machine thanks to a good friend. I cut up some flannel receiving blankets that are extra soft and will be sewing them soon...so look for a future post on that :-)
Using cloth diapers on my newborn also got me to thinking about all of the money I am wasting on Pull-ups for my potty training, almost 3 yr old dd. So I bought her 12 pairs of training plants off of ebay and hope to NEVER buy pull ups again! LOL..They are basically JUST like a diaper and therefore has been USED just like a diaper :-)
Now I am on a mission to learn to use anything reusable and washable! My next challenge is to use less paper towels and napkins :-)
4 comments:
Look at you go, girl! How does freedom (from the store) taste? Great, eh? Can't wait to see your sewing progress. :)
I have also been considering cloth diapering. It just seems ridiculously unafforadble to start up. Material is expensive too. So making them would also be expensive. I just haven't seen how it would be more cost efficient yet. Of coarse we use cheap no-name diapers and pull-ups to save on the money. BUT get this. Sams club changed their cheap diapers, and the new ones are horrible! My son leaked through them every night. So this month we bought Pampers from SAMS because it's much cheaper there. So I am in a situation now, that is causing me to really think hard about cloth.
Well sorry for the LONG comment, but I actually stopped by your blog to use your preschool links in the sidebar. I need to get some stuff printed for my preschoolers, so I thought I would stop by here to see what links you had. Anyhow a big thanks to you for that, and I bet it's nice to know some people actually do use the side bar links!
Blessings,
Christy
I need to cut down on my napkin usage. And I NEED a sewing machine. Whine. ;) It does really feel good to cut the strings to consumerism.
Great choice. Wish I had done it with my other babies but oh, lazy me. I did use cloth with my first ds. Loved them. Well, Hip Rider's on her way to big girl pants (hopefully soon) so I guess I'll tough it out. Let us know how the sewing is going.
Blessings.
Post a Comment