We are doing a study in Philippians at my church and as I am going through some trials I took comfort in reading Psalms....thank you to a sister in Christ who pointed me in the right direction...
I also went back to study my notes from Sunday about the differences between Secular "happiness" and Biblical "Joy". The secular meaning of happiness can come from many things....cars, house, relationships..etc. Biblical joy comes from knowing Jesus and having a personal relationship with Him and thinking like Him. Human relationships cannot give you joy...only happiness according to mans thinking. I also know, from many experiences, that happiness can be construed very differently. Some may get happiness from someone providing their needs...or being there for them when they are down...some may feel happiness when they buy a new car...but as quick as that happiness comes...the quicker it is gone. I know..i am guilty of this many times over.
Now when we have the true JOY of Jesus Christ in our hearts..we know it will be there unconditionally..Even when human happiness is not..You see, everything is done to the glory of God...I may not know that at the time of my unhappiness..but I do know that God always finishes what he begins...Romans 8:28-29 tells me so.
I think most of us struggle with happiness all the time..we are human. But I take comfort in the Joy I know I will always have in my Lord...even when its just Him and I...alone.
"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy" Philippians 1:3-4
" If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, haing the same love, being in one spirit and purpose."
Philippians 2:1-2
5 comments:
Yep, the pursuit of happiness is highly overrated. Give me Joy!
Ps 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Wonderful word! Thank you for sharing, Amber.
Thanks for sharing! My pastor spoke on this a month ago also. The world's joy is based on conditions but the having the joy of the Lord is unconditional. Good word!
Amen! Great post Amber! I sure enjoyed reading it!
I thought I would also say how cute your little boy is! Wow I cannot beleive he is almsot 3 months old already! CRAZY!!
Blessings,
Christy
Hi,Amber! Check out my blog. You've been tagged. Sorry!! (snicker)
Right on, Amber. Joy ought to be what drives us...happiness is fleeting, and not always present. Praise the Lord for the joy He gives us, that we can draw upon daily.
Post a Comment