I have decided to go with a different Math program. We have been using Saxon, and in the early grades it's very teacher intensive. It's taking about 45 minutes just to go through a lesson. With a 2 yr old (potty training) and a newborn I was finding this impossible. We have decided to go with the publisher that we are using for English and Spelling...Rod&Staff. I love how it intergrets the bible throughout the text and I especially love how traditional it is. It's like the math we used to do back in the day..not watered down with a bunch of fluff or busy work. It is mastery, so only one concept is introduced at a time..and we'll review until is has been mastered. With Saxon, my son could have known what we were doing already but we had to still do the lesson because it teaches in increments and we could've missed a new concept. Which for me was becoming a serious burdon.
So we'll see how it goes after Christmas break....I'll let you all know!
1 comment:
That's great! I prefer a more simplistic math curriculum that just covers the concepts one at a time when they are younger. It's so much easier to teach that way for me, and I find that it is easier for Sky to do Saxon 54 this year because she was able to master the basics.
Good job!
Post a Comment